Family 3

Family 3
Just The Four of Us

Sunday, March 11, 2012

How to make resignation and reference letter



When you decided to resign from your current job, the first thing to do is to prepare a resignation letter..
This is quite an easy thing to do if you have a sample.

As for me, preparing a resignation letter that must be submitted asap (meaning on the same day I got confirmation from my future employer) in order to fulfil my 30 days notice and my new date of hire , and also on the same day that I had deadlines and lots of work.. means, I absolutely have no idea what to write.

Well I searched from my personal files, looking for my last resignation letter 5 years ago.. Alas... It was written in Indonesian :(. This one must be in English..
Then I searched from my emails.. I remembered a friend sent me her resignation letter way back, but then.. hmmmm sorry to say, it was not what I had in mind.
I want a really profesional resignation letter, yet straight forward.

What I wanted in my resignation letter was ;
- I enjoyed my previous job but I had to move on for a new challenge
- I will give a prior 30 days/ 4 weeks notice
- I am thankful for the opportunity that was given to me
- I wish my former company success
Well I had all of that in my mind, but because of all the things in my mind and my deadlines.. I just couldnt write a letter. My mind was stuck.

then.. a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do.. I turn to my instant helper.. GOOGLE
Yes I googled it
and voilaaaa... I knew I could count on you Mbah Google :)
here is the link
http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/resumesandletters/tp/Resignation-Letters.htm

well I did some editing of course, but the sample given were more than enough. All I had to do was to change names, dates, job function and its done.
Submitted it and ..OMG.. I did it.. finally I'm moving on..

And then, the next thing to prepare was to get a reference letter or letter of recommendation from my employer. I didnt want just a letter of employment stating my work period. I wanted something quite proffesional and personal to reflect my achievement. I was not quite sure whether or not I am entitled for it.. since my current employment status is contract based.
So I asked a friend, whether or not she got a reference letter when she resigned. She was also a contract employee. She said she did, but the company wont issue it. We have to write it down ourself and the manager / user (hopefully) will sign it. HR wont sign it cause I am a contract employee.. yeah yeah.. :(
No reason why my user wont sign it cause I did work for my user right.. It was kinda personal based - I guess.
So I asked my friend for an example.
I waited and waited but it seems that she was busy and she forgot to send me hers.. Its okay sist..
well...then..a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do... mbah Google again..

hehehehe

well since about 7 years ago when I was still in Medical Dept in a pharmaceutical company.. I had become so attached to Google for looking up infos. (even medical and scientific journals back in the days). I know you cant rely on all of its infos.. but I guess a letter is something general that I can rely on :).

here's the link
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/referenceletters/Sample_Reference_Letters.htm

Its much more complicated making a reference letter.. even though I have a sample or template, but I have to make major editing to reflect my current situation. This takes more time than making resignation letter.

This is what I wanted to point out in my letter:
-My current job description (in brief), a bit of my daily tasks
-My skills and abilities
-My performance and achievement off course
-and..... this is the highlight of it.. How my former manager really recomends me for the same and / or higher position and will miss me profesionally and personally.. wkakakakaka.. hear hear...I am trully an asset..

I written down all of those pointers in my letter and had them signed without hesitation
(thanks big boss.. I owe you one)
Well I guess it was my right to have it.. after all I did serve for almost five years right..


Actually this is the first time I got a really descriptive recomendation letter.
Previously it was just stating time period of employment and a simple thank you.

Google has certainly made my life easier.. :)

oh ya gambar dari browsing di google juga.. alamanya kepanjangan ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment